Sunday 22 April 2012

TWINTERVIEW: Olly Schulz

Olly Schulz has had an interesting year. Last May, he signed a one-year contract extension at Dover Athletic but by August he had been placed on the transfer list. Schulz remained at the club - while manager Martin Hayes was sacked - but his days at Crabble were numbered. The 26-year-old defender found his opportunities limited under Nicky Forster, Hayes' successor, and in January 2012 his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

However, the man who forged a reputation for himself at Ramsgate earlier in his career quickly earned a move across Kent to Dover's Conference South rivals Tonbridge Angels. Schulz, a potent weapon from set-pieces during Andy Hessenthaler's managerial reign at Dover, has slotted in nicely at Tonbridge, who have followed up last season's promotion with a strong mid-table finish this term.

From the outside, this particular tale had left plenty of unanswered questions during my time in the Kent media. I decided to ask some of my own and Schulz was happy to oblige.

What's your earliest memory of football?



Playing for Margate under-10s and getting selected for their school of excellence programme that they had just set up.

Have you always played in defence or did you venture forward as a youngster?



I've played at the back, in midfield and up front. When I was younger I always wanted to be a keeper as well.


So has Tommy [Warrilow] got you on standby if anything happens to Worgs [Lee Worgan] mid-game?


Those days are long gone now lol. Going by Judgey's [Ben Judge] performance last night at training I'm sure he would be Worgs' number two.

What changes would you make if you replaced Sepp Blatter as FIFA president?



I'd like to see the replay system used in rugby adopted into football. There are too many wrong decisions made by refs nowadays.

What's the best game you've played in? And your favourite goal?


Dover 6-0 Sutton. We won the league that day with five games left. Any one of my hat-trick goals against Hampton & Richmond.

A couple of team-mate questions. Who's the joker, who's the hard man and who's the biggest moaner?


Worgs has got to be the joker. Timmy Olorunda as the hard man and Rory Hill as the moaner. That boy gets bullied in the changing-room.

Woking are going up as Conference South champions but who's going to follow them via the play-offs?


I'd say Dartford but if Basingstoke make the the play-offs, I'd always go with the underdogs. They're on good form at the moment.


Interesting. Tell me about your move away from Dover - was it a relief when Tonbridge came in for you?


It's nice to know that a club wants you and I'm happy that I joined Tonbridge. I'm already looking forward to next season.

Good man. You had some great times under Hess [Andy Hessenthaler] but it wasn't the same story with Martin Hayes and Nicky Forster. Can you put your finger on why?

I think Hessy had a better understanding of non-league and he knew what players he needed and how to get the best from them.

How hot do you have your chicken at Nando's?



I'll get some stick for this but lemon and herb. I don't do hot or spicy foods.


What is it about Tommy Warrilow that makes him such a popular gaffer among the players?


He likes to think he's one of the lads and gets involved in the banter. Always buys a drink for the boys after a game as well.


Who would be your ideal centre-back partner?



It's got to be John Terry.



Who are your best friends in football?



I get on with all the boys but if I had to choose someone it would be Lee Hook.


What team should England pick for their first game at Euro 2012? No Rooney of course...


I'm not one to ask that. I've given up on our national team. I'd like to see the youngsters given a chance though.

Who are the best players you've played with and against?


Alan Poutan, his vision and passing was a different class. Danny Kedwell, in our Kent league days.


Are you coming down with Olympic fever yet? Did you get tickets, are there certain events you're looking forward to, or not bothered?


I'm not interested in the Olympics one bit.



Who's the changing-room DJ at Tonbridge and what music gets played before kick-off?

Anyone who puts their iPod on first. Normally listen to a bit dance and funky house. We've got a bit of old skool garage today though.


Finally, you've got one tweet to tell the world about Tonbridge Angels. Go...


2012/13 Blue Square South champions.
You can follow @Schulzy_5 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment