Friday 10 February 2012

TWINTERVIEW: Michael West

Michael West has been pretty busy these last few years. After breaking into the Ebbsfleet United team during the 2008/09 season, he was one of a handful of players to remain with the club following relegation from Blue Square Premier in 2010. The attacking midfielder was to become a mainstay of the side which bounced back to win promotion at the first attempt, notching six goals in three play-off games to underline his penchant for the big occasion.

His display against Farnborough in that final epitomised the phrase 'an old head on young shoulders' and he's not been found wanting back in non-league football's top flight. Beady-eyed scouts appeared at Stonebridge Road in increasing numbers and plenty were on hand to see West bag a memorable late brace to rob Luton Town of two points back in October.

Since capped by England C and named as one of the Non-League Paper's '12 for 2012', West was the subject of much transfer speculation during the January window, but for now, he remains a Fleet player. Given all that, it's hard to believe he only celebrated his 21st birthday on Thursday. What better time to arrange a twinterview, I thought...


First question - you've just turned 21, so how have you spent your birthday?



In bed all day with the flu ha not the best birthday ha



Nightmare. How are you feeling now and how's this injury of yours?



A little bit better, just try to get better for the game Saturday, and for my [hernia] operation Monday.


You've had your FA Trophy game frozen off twice now. People are talking about 3G pitches - would you be happy playing games on one?


Personally I like playing on them and every time I have done, I've played well. I scored my first hat trick on a 3G pitch.


I think they're the way forward. What's your earliest memory of football?



My earliest football memory has to be getting scouted by Fulham FC



Has the gaffer still got it when you play 5-a-side in training?



I haven't played against him in 5-a-side.



Best friends in football?



Don't really have a best friend but good mates with all the lads at Ebbsfleet.



What would be your England team for the first game at Euro 2012?



If everyone was fit: Hart, Richards, Terry, Cahill, Walker, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Parker, Gerrard, Johnson, Welbeck, Rooney.


Rooney's banned - so who partners Welbeck?



Agbonlahor.



Interesting. Plenty of pace in that side. Your twitter bio tells us you love your music, so who should we be listening to at the moment?


Erm I like a bit of Drake, Chris Brown, house music, bit of everything really. Can't beat the oldies though.


Imagine you're the manager and money's no object. Which non-league player do you go out and sign for Ebbsfleet?


Danny Rose from Fleetwood.



There's an Aussie rules team over here that voted on who their captain should be. Could that work in football?


Erm I'm not sure to be honest, maybe, but I think that a manager knows who his captain is in a team and the other players respect that.


Fair enough. Best goal you've scored?



The goal I scored against Farnborough meant the most, but the goal against Luton is my favourite.


I remember them both well... Was a January transfer ever on the cards or were the people who thought so - like me - way off the mark?


I didn't really know about anything. I left it in the hands of my agent, so I can't really answer that.


Finally.. you've got one tweet to tell the world about Ebbsfleet United. Go.



Not the biggest club in the world but get the best from what we've got #EUFC


You can follow @MikeWest77 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment